Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Original vs. Remake: Prom Night




Original vs. Remake: Prom Night



Prom Night (1980)

After the accidental death of a child, a masked killer stalks the children responsible and seeks revenge during their High School's Senior Prom.

Boy, this movie was weird. Like super freakin' weird. It wasn't even the type of weird that makes the movie fun. After watching it you can't help but think "What the hell did I just watch?" It comes off like a Charles Band movie which isn't a compliment.

The story line was basically a clichéd 80's version of 'I know what you did last Summer.' Kids are playing around and one of the kids gets killed. Instead of calling the police they panic and make a pact that they will never speak of this again. Many years later the "killer" get revenge on the kids who kept the secret. Sounds like the same old slasher movie that we've all seen a dozen times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for cheesy 80's slasher movies but this one did nothing for me. The acting got on my nerves and the only one who I thought did an okay job was Jamie Lee Curtis. I try not to get my hopes up for some stellar acting because of the era I knew I was going to get nothing but a cheesefest.

The build up for the main event of the movie took way too long and it was boring. This movie was 89 mins and it felt like 3 hours. The prom scene wasn't even that exciting and left you underwhelmed. You pretty much knew who the killer could be at the beginning of the movie, that is if you paid attention. It was very hard to pay attention to this movie and not drift off since it was so BORING. I couldn't wait for this movie to be over.

I give this movie 2 out of 5 Skulls.



Prom Night (2008)

Donna is set on having the time of her life during her Senior Prom. But a sadistic killer from her past get's released from jail and plans on taking her hostage and isn't afraid to kill anyone who get's in the way of his love for her.

Now this movie was entertaining and the story line was much better. It wasn't the best movie out there but it kept you interested and the movie was very inviting. The acting was pretty decent and it wasn't cheesy to the point of being annoying.

The reason I liked this movie so much is because I love movies where crazy people kill in the name of Love. It's so romantic. I like how they decided to make the concept of the movie different from the original and have the only similar thing be the title and a killer stalking kids at their prom.

The build up for the climax of the movie was very well done. The prom scene was fun and didn't leave you feeling underwhelmed or cheated. I do like how they made the killer look like Charles Manson, whether that was their intention or not it was still pretty funny.

IMO, this movie fell flat on being a remake of the 80's Prom Night. Besides having the same title and a killer stalking the teenagers leading up to their prom is the only thing that's similar between the two movies. The movie standing by itself did a great job. It being a remake was a dud. However, I enjoyed this movie a lot and would watch it more than once. I give this movie 3 1/2 out of 5 Skulls.

The Final SCREAM:

I recommend the 2008 version of Prom Night. It wasn't boring and was very fun to watch. The concept of the movie was much better and the killer made the movie great. You're in for a good time with Prom Night (2008)

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, we'd like to invite you to become one of our Authors in Alexandria. This invitation has been extended to you by email as well.

    In addition to posting on anything you wish, as you desire, you may of course mirror posts you've already written from here or elsewhere to promote your writing, to gain a different or additional audience or for any other reason that appeals to you.

    If you think you might be interested, contact me through Alexandria or by return email via this comment and I'll forward our formal invitations for you to look over and return if you decide to proceed.

    Come contribute your perspectives and opinions to the ongoing conversations there or, even better, start some new - and different - ones of your own.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    H. M. Stuart
    Alexandria

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and I appreciate them. I will always comment you back or at least I'll try :D I want to thank everyone who reads and comments my blog. Thank you!! - Jenny Krueger *Peace, Love and Necrophilia*