Monday, March 3, 2014

Movie Review: The Bates Haunting (very mild spoilers)




A year after her friend, Lilly's death, Agnes goes to work at the Bates Motel & Haunted Hayride to get over the trauma. Once she gets to work, she starts to notice strange things are happening. One by one, Agnes's coworkers are beginning to die. It's now up to her to figure out who or what is causing all of these deaths before she becomes the next victim.

I bought this movie at WalMart for $5.00 because the cover art caught my eye and I really dig the movie title. To be honest, the movie title is kind of misleading. I bought the movie thinking it had to do with Norman Bates and his mother since it's called The Bates Haunting. It doesn't. They mention Norman two times and one of the character's last name is Bates.

Other than that this movie has nothing to do with Norman Bates and the original Bates Motel. Total buzz kill. They probably chose that title so fans of the original Psycho and Bates Motel would buy it. Well, it worked for me. The writing/script for this movie was just blah. Not refreshing, not original and not entertaining.

The acting was mediocre. The only person who actually gave a strong performance was the lead actress, Agnes, played by Jean Louise O'Sullivan. She did the best she could with an awful script. The two things that was actually decent in the movie was the gore and the soundtrack. They had just the right amount of blood to please any horror fan.

The music in the movie was the best thing. It was eerie, creepy and pleasantly soothing. I'm not sure if it fit the movie that well but it was nice to listen to. I think if I watched this movie without expecting it to be about Norman Bates and his mother, I might have enjoyed it a lot more than I did. I also don't know why they called it a haunting. There is nothing supernatural about this movie and it doesn't have any hauntings, ghosts or anything in that category.

I give this movie 2 1/2 5 Skulls.

1 comment:

  1. I love when the $5 bin movies prove to at least be mildly entertaining. I'm always wary of buying things I haven't seen out of those because I always end up with terrible films.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and I appreciate them. I will always comment you back or at least I'll try :D I want to thank everyone who reads and comments my blog. Thank you!! - Jenny Krueger *Peace, Love and Necrophilia*