Monday, September 2, 2013

Movie Review: Dead Silence




After the mysterious death of his wife, Jamie Ashen goes back to his childhood home of Ravens Fair to put her to rest. While he's there he stumbles upon information that might be the key to his wife's murder and the local legend of the ventriloquist named Mary Shaw. That is when he finds out that if you see Mary Shaw, make sure you never, ever scream.

Dead Silence was written by Leigh Whannell and directed by James Wan. You know. The guys who brought us SAW, INSIDIOUS, THE CONJURING and almost every other "well known" horror movie that's coming out. I saw this movie when it came out in theaters back in 2007. Everyone was shocked that I actually saw this movie cause it's about freakin' dolls coming to life and we all know how I feel about that.

For me I think it's the shock value and the anxiety throughout the movie that sucks me in. With horror movies, I don't get scared watching them. I honestly can't think of ANY horror movie that actually scared the living shit out of me. (Besides Child's Play. That doesn't count.) The last movie that gave me a panic attack was 2012. I know, natural disaster movies stress me out. I had to leave the room because I couldn't take it anymore.

There's only one movie that actually gave me that anxious feeling, that high that I grave. That movie is Dead Silence. The heart pounding in your chest feeling, the anticipation of something that's going to pop out and seriously feeling scared to the point that you want to stop watching the movie. All those feelings and emotions make the movie fun to watch. It makes it worth it and not a lot of horror movies give me that rush. So it's nice to have a movie like this one that does.

I really don't have anything bad to say about this movie. It's beautifully shot, the concept of the movie was amazing and it really draws you in and keeps you guessing. The acting was outstanding. Ryan Kwanten who played Jamie, took on the role of the lead character like a pro. Even the supporting actors; Amber Valletta (Ella Ashen), Donnie Wahlberg (Det. Lipton), Michael Fairman (Henry Walker)and Bob Gunton (Edward Ashen) did a great job and brought the story together.

Judith Roberts who played Mary Shaw was the one who made this movie her own and not because this whole movie is centered around her character, it's because she gave an amazing performance and she brought this movie to life. The way she was able to channel both emotions of empathetic and pure evil was genius. One part of you feels bad for her cause all she has is her doll collection that made her feel complete and she wanted to show the world her love for them and talent. The other part of you wouldn't want to get on her bad side cause she can go from this sweet and innocent ventriloquist to a menacing force of power in a matter of seconds.

The music was delightfully creepy and blended very well with the concept and atmosphere of the movie. What I also enjoyed about this movie is the ending. There's a lot of movies that are so good right up until the end and the ending ruins the whole movie. Dead Silence is not one of those movies. It has a great twist ending that you never would of thought of. What's funny is after you watch this movie and then watch it for a second time, you can notice certain things throughout the movie that brought the ending together. Of course that's a certain thing you wouldn't notice the very first time you watch it.

Also, a lot of movies rely way too much on jump scares to get the audience and they're never good enough. Every horror movie that has jump scares never get to me and make me jump. I've actually jumped at several parts in this movie and each time it's followed with me yelling out "Gosh! Come on!" I would like to go on record to say that the fact that this movie made me jump even once is a huge compliment. Child's Play doesn't make me jump. Well, let's be fair. If I do watch any of the Child's Play movies, I have my eyes covered and my hearing aids turned off. ;)

I give this movie 5 out of 5 Skulls.

PS. Don't forget to sign up for my Friday the 13th bloghop, The Legacy: His Name Was Jason here! :D

4 comments:

  1. It's pretty funny that you loved this movie - I just reviewed it a few posts ago on my blog, as "crappy and campy"... :)

    I find I have lost my patience with horror as I have grown older. When I was 25 I just loved horror for being horror, but now at 36 I feel I've seen it all done too many times, and most often not very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Definitely one of my favorite movies too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psycho is the scariest film I've ever seen, it has no jump scares what so ever.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get scared by horror movies any more, I find myself losing interest in
    some, and wondering how the blood, gore and makeup were created instead.

    Sadly, although I love creepy dolls, I didn't enjoy this movie.

    Great review though : )

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and I appreciate them. I will always comment you back or at least I'll try :D I want to thank everyone who reads and comments my blog. Thank you!! - Jenny Krueger *Peace, Love and Necrophilia*